Friday, November 2, 2007

pure joy

Today I experienced about 30 minutes of pure joy. I was at the Garden of Joy, the orphanage that I have been working at here in Cambodia. After lunch, the Khmer like to relax or take a nap for an hour or so each day. Usually this is a time that I play with the kids who decide not to sleep, or talk or read with the older kids. Today though, everyone was either sleeping or off doing other things. I was especially tired, so I reclined on a swing under the shade of a big tree. I was so comfortable and very sleepy, when I saw three of the little girls running from the shower in their towels over to me; thinking it very funny that they are going to wake me up. After they saw me open my eyes and smile, they giggled and ran away to get dressed. Soon they were back, and immediately climbed up on to the swing with me. "Ma gesin sleep!" they kept saying. In my limited Khmer, I said, "Come and sleep with me!" As I lay curled on my side, I had one wrapped up in my arms in front of me, one behind me, and the other on top of me. "Gain" (sleep) they would say, and then pretend to sleep on my shoulder or chest, with a smile. They giggled and babbled in a language that I still only understand pieces of. But they were genuinely joyful....maybe even a hint of how joyful I was? They snuggled with me as I wrapped them up, played with their hair, and kissed their cheeks. I thought "THIS is heaven, honestly...." There isn't much that I love more than snuggling, and with these precious little girls, I don't know much that could compare. The Lord knows me, and I find great joy in the fact that I am being cared for through these little ones.


Pip, if you read this.... thanks for inspiring me to blog for real!

No comments: