Monday, December 17, 2007

christmas

About two weeks ago we talked to the kids briefly during our Thursday afternoon program about Christmas. “Who knows what Christmas is about?” I asked. Lots of hands shot up, and I pointed to a boy who was about eleven to give me an answer. “Christmas was when Jesus was born. He came to save us from from our sin,” he stated matter-of-factly. So simply put. I was impressed. It makes me happy to hear this from kids who didn’t grow up with commercialized Christmas all around them...lights, presents, Santa Claus. For these kids, Christmas is really just about Jesus.

Yesterday I went to Khmer church, which I really enjoy despite the fact I don’t understand most of what goes on. But even then, the Lord meets me. I read through parts of 1 John, and came across this verse:

“God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love- not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.” 1 John 4:9-10

Something about this verse really met me. I really like the part that states: “This is real love- not that we loved God, but that He loved us...” He has been pursuing us since the beginning. He sent his Son for us, and still we’ve managed to make Christmas about other things.

It’s been refreshing for me to be here in Cambodia during the Christmas season. As much as it doesn’t feel like Christmas to me in many ways, Christ has been a focus here in ways that He hasn’t when I have spent Christmas at home. There aren’t the distractions of crazy malls, Santa Claus pictures, and media pressure to spend lots of money. Instead, the small percentage of Cambodians who celebrate Christmas focus on praising God. Christ is truly alive and at work in the hearts of Cambodians, and it has been awesome to be a part of that this Christmas.

Lord, thank you for your presence to me during this season. That Christmas is really about how much you loved us and have always been pursuing us, and just want us to understand even a fraction of what that love means. Thank you for taking away the distractions so that I can see You more clearly. Amen.

No comments: