Thursday, July 17, 2008

the zoo

I have had lots of funny experiences working with patients who have had just a little too much medication. Tonight I gave my patient the IV medication that was ordered to help him sleep. It was a new order, and a large dose, but I found it appropriate because of his size and past tolerance to other medications.

At 3:30 am, he came out of his room, dressed in jeans, cowboy boots, a dress shirt, and a leather vest. He has previously been wearing grey sweatpants.

"Where are you going?" we asked him.

"Nowhere" he said. "I can't go anywhere without a map..."

Then, after walking down the hall and back, he went back in his room and sat down.

I went in and asked, "Where are you right now, M?"

"The petting zoo..."

I laughed out loud. "What kinds of animals are there?"

"People" he said. "They are here to see me."

He was the type to give me a hard time anyway. I couldn't tell if he was joking...

"Are you just trying to make me laugh?" I asked, still laughing.

"What do I look like, a comedian?" he responded, very serious.

"...and find me some bacon and eggs, ok? there has to be a place to stop around here somewhere..."

I told him that it was 3:45 in the morning, and there were no bacon or eggs...

He gave me a look of pure hate, and said,

"You are so full of it..."

2 comments:

hi! my name is Lora. said...

hey gretchen! thanks for letting us in on your life. all this time you thought you worked at the hospital, when really you work at the petting zoo. awesome!

pip said...

sooo funny!