Wednesday, February 3, 2010

broken pieces

God, I sit
desperate for you to show yourself
desperate for your wisdom
desperate for your healing
the broken pieces of the world have been thrown into mine
and as much as I want to heal
and make everything better
it is not my job
it’s yours

but for all I am able
give me something I can do
a broken piece
so that I can do my share.
and no matter how dark and heavy it gets,
I want to be in the midst of it,
not far away
but you must be the only light that burns inside of me
You are the only light in this darkness.

‘…and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.’ John 1:4-5

1 comment:

Thai Dave said...

Yes, Gretchen! That second stanza expresses my recent thoughts exactly. I want to get to work no matter what that work is. I want to be active.

On the one hand I thank God as often as possible for giving me the opportunity to learn what I'm learning. On the other hand I'm almost hoping God will up and call me to go dig wells in Africa tomorrow morning. I'm just anxious to get to work.

Sometimes it's just difficult to see that my "work" right now is to learn, but also to shine that light to everyone around me at my school. That's actually a pretty huge job come to think of it...