Thursday, May 13, 2010

why?

I have a secret way of knowing; many people wonder why I am here. ‘Why would you want to do that??’ ‘What are you actually doing in Cambodia, anyway?’ ‘Can’t you just serve God in the States?’ ‘I don’t know how you could give up all of the comforts of home…’ ‘Aren’t you afraid?’

Honestly, I wish I could somehow eloquently explain what life here is like and why I am here. It’s one of those things you may just need to experience for yourself to really understand. (yes, visitors are ALWAYS welcome!) To say it’s different than my life two months ago is an enormous understatement.

But the most important thing hasn’t changed. Jesus lives here, too.

And really, the reasons I am here are pretty simple.

Jesus speaks more about caring for the poor and those in need than anything else! (read that again—it’s true!!) Cambodians were created in the image of God. Most of the country is deep in need; both spiritually as well as physically. I could go on and on about this; the poverty and brokenness here is something that is perhaps beyond many peoples’ imagination. But that doesn’t change the fact that the people living in the midst of it matter to the God that created them. God’s plan was for His people to care for one another, and to share the good news of His power, grace, and forgiveness with everyone-- even to the ends of the earth! Even to places that are not ‘comfortable.’ There is a reason I have been blessed with resources, skills, and gifts. How can I not share them with people most in need?

So really, it’s not complicated. I was shown a land filled with beautiful people and lots of needs, and asked to go. And I went. And here I am!

Living life in order to be ‘comfortable’ and ‘secure’ is really not living. I am convinced that we are missing out and we don’t even realize it if that is what we are living for. What will we say, then, if God asks us to follow Him somewhere difficult? For me, there is nothing more important than obedience to the God who gave EVERYTHING in order to give me real LIFE. It isn’t always easy. Of course, I have already had some hard moments and hard days. But it is simple. He isn’t interested in what we consider a comfortable and secure life. He promises to show up- to be present. That is all I need to know.

I think this song sums it up well. (and a bonus view of Cambodia, too ;)


You live amongst the least of these
The weary and the weak
And it would be a tragedy for me to turn away
All my needs
You have supplied
When I was dead
You gave me life

How could I not
Give it away so freely?

And I will
Follow You into the homes of the broken
Follow You into the world
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy
Follow You into the world

Use my hands,
Use my feet
To make Your kingdom come
To the corners of the earth
Until your work is done

Because faith without works is dead
And on the cross, Your blood was shed

So how could we not give it away so freely?

I give all myself
I give all myself
I give all myself
To You

Follow You, Leeland

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am so glad you blogged this.....I will be printing this one....you are special. Love Mom

Stephanie Rogers said...

so good Gretchen! conviction is a huge motivator to do big things for Jesus. He called, we answered.