Saturday, November 6, 2010

what I learn and keep learning...

I am living in a place where there are so many different kinds of people, projects and plans in place in order to care for people and communities. There are seemingly endless problems, pain, and hurts in people around me. And the approaches and way people think and take action in order to address these needs is quite different too. Everyone has an opinion on what is the “best” way to make a difference.

It is worth the time to learn the local language, or are you better off getting to work in an office and work on broader policy issues? Do you live amongst the nationals in the country, or do you stay in an expat community? Do you start by addressing the material needs of the poor or help people to help themselves? Look toward children, the future of the country? Girls or boys? Young or old? Address health needs only, or spiritual needs, too? Can you do both? What about teaching English? Is there an empowering way to love the woman who is poor and can’t read, but knows a lot more than I do about how to be a good mother…? What is the best way to teach someone in a very different context without being patronizing? How important is the clothing you wear or where you live?

Ultimately, the question feels to me like, “am I doing a good job?” Sometimes it sure doesn’t feel like it. All I want to do, really, is love God and love people. But there are so many details- and where to begin to know how to answer all the questions that will never go away?

But over the past month or so, my Father has been speaking to me on all of this…

Don’t worry about how overwhelming the big picture looks. Don’t worry about what others do. Don’t worry if it doesn’t make sense, or it seems wrong. Don’t judge their efforts; it isn’t up to you, and it isn’t your job. Don’t worry about what they think of you. Don’t worry if your journey looks different. The opinions of the world don’t matter- Look to Me. Look to Me. Look to Me. When you follow hard after Me, you won’t have time to worry or think about these things; it is Me alone that matters. I will show you the way to move forward. I will never leave you. I love you. I look on you with so much love and grace. I know your heart. Only in clinging to Me and following Me will you have peace and not fear the road and journey of unknowns that lie ahead.

1 comment:

juice said...

Thanks friend for being so vulnerable and for sharing your heart/prayers with your friends & family...I am always encouraged by your words!

love you,
juice