Friday, November 16, 2007

sleepover!


Last night I spent the night at the Garden of Joy, with my favorite kids in Cambodia. It was wonderful... like camping and a sleepover all in one. (Think no running water, minimal electricity, flashlights, bugs, etc.) I was going to be sleeping with three girls (sisters; ages 11, 8, and 6) on a mattress on the floor. The dorm parents are away for the week, and we were going to sleep in their room. I asked the girls, "Why don't we put the misquito net over the bed? No one is going to sleep here," thinking that a big bed should not go to waste. "Dad sleeps there." they said. When I tried to explain that he was away, and no one was going to be in the bed, they still insisted that we all sleep on the floor, where they slept every other night. Of course, I cared more about sleeping with someone else than I did about being on a bed, so I happily agreed. So, late afternoon, we set up the misquito net over the mattress on the floor.

After it got dark, (about 6:15pm!) I played Uno with some of the older girls for awhile, and then I realized we were the only ones still up. I went into the other room and found my little room mates all lined up on their little bed, with a spot open for me in the middle. They had been waiting for me to turn off the lights. I smiled when I realized it was 8:30pm. I got my headlamp and a book, and climbed into our little tent. The oldest girl folded her hands and said something to me in Khmer that I didn't understand, but I knew that she was asking to pray. We somehow established that they would pray in Khmai first and then I would pray in English. They all bowed their heads and prayed out loud in Khmer all at the same time for a few minutes. Then I took their hands, and finished our prayer in English. It was one of the sweetest moments I have experienced for a long time. I can only imagine how the Lord feels when he hears His children call out to Him all around the world.

I think I was awake until about midnight, as the two littlest ones next to me kept whispering in their sleep, throwing their arms or legs over me, or rolling over on top of me. It was really hot, and I wished it was appropriate to dress in underwear, the way the girls were. The air was still and humid. Dogs were barking everywhere. Crickets, frogs, geckos, and who knows what else were chipping and clicking and croaking. I was hoping that nothing would invade our net.

I woke up to Asian amplified music that takes over the village whenever there is some sort of special occasion. I found out later it was a wedding. It was 5:40. I turned over and one of the girls was already gone. The littlest one, delighted that I was now awake also, crawled over me and curled up in front of me and gave me a hug. Although the music has been annoying since the first week I got here, it was not a bad way to wake up.

The girls washed up and I combed their hair and applied the UV skin whitening cream that their dorm mom puts on them everyday. They dressed in their cute little blue and white uniforms and I painted their nails before they left for school. (these are the things you have time for when you wake up at 5:30 am!) Hugs, kisses, and I love you's, and they were off to school by 6:40. I don't ever remember having this much fun on a school night!

No comments: