Sunday, November 18, 2007

following Jesus-applied examples

There is a quote that I have hanging up in my room here that I have been thinking about. It's taken from Donald Miller's book, Blue Like Jazz :

"If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus."

What does this really means in my day to day life? Being unselfish when it's hard. Getting over my bad attitude and being kind. Putting the needs and wants of the children and adults I work with in front of EVERYTHING else that is going on in my mind. Asking questions of others in order to learn more about what makes them tick. Really loving difficult people with the love Christ gives me (because otherwise I can't!) Attempting to make small talk in Khmer with strangers in order to be kind even though I feel dumb because my language skills are seriously lacking. Giving away my chocolate or whatever else I am eating at the moment. :) Being generous with my time and my money. Looking for people who need a kind word, encouragement, or a hug... and being tuned in enough to provide it. Praying for those I find difficult to love. Taking time to play with the little children who live across the street. Taking time to do anything that will benefit anyone other than
myself. Offering to help. Eating and appreciating the Khmer food I am served (!!) at the orphanage each day for lunch; remembering it is food that could be given to someone in much greater need than myself~ and not being concerned about how it was prepared or who touched it without washing their hands! Giving the "best" of whatever I have to someone else. Allowing the things that are acceptable for my poor neighbors to be acceptable for me as well. Being content in all of these things. Looking for other things can I add to this list. . .

No comments: