Friday, January 4, 2008

adventures on Christmas day

On Christmas this year I found myself sick for the first time since I’ve been in Cambodia. I wasn’t disappointed in the fact that it was Christmas day, but more disappointed because of the plans that I had to miss.

For the week or so before Christmas, my friend Pip and I had been scheming about what we could do to serve some of the poor in Phnom Penh. Maybe a week earlier while I ran, I was noticing the street sweepers and began to pray for them. I know they may be grateful to have a job, but to me it seemed very futile. Each day, dressed in their green uniforms and head scarves to protect them from the sun and heat, they sweep their designated areas of the street. And again the next day, and the next... I wanted to do something to honor them and say thank you, but wasn’t sure what.

As we talked about what we could do, Pip mentioned the street sweepers. I was so excited and told her about my thoughts and observations the previous day. We quickly came up with a plan. We would put some money in an envelope, write a message about the true meaning of Christmas on it (today we celebrate the birth of Jesus, who came to heal and to save) and give them an ice cold Coke. We would chat with them and offer our thanks for what they do. I couldn’t wait.

So on Christmas afternoon I was unable to go, but by this time we had also recruited another friend to join us. You can read about their adventure on Pip’s blog.

http://somesaypip.blogspot.com/2008/01/christmas-day.html

Praise God for how He calls on us to bless and care for each other...and proceeds to bless us in the process.

2 comments:

Thai Dave said...

Keep on rockin on. So stoked on your motivation.

Peep some of mine.

http://cmdave.blogspot.com/

JLS said...

It's a great idea of serving the poor people on this christmas day. And make your life with peace and happy.