Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the JOYS of food

Yeah, yeah... so the first blog I write after I have been back for a few days is about the joys of food. If you know me, you are not at all surprised! :)
I am staying with my sister for the next few days, who is happy for me to go to the grocery store for her and even make dinner! I am loving this since I won’t be moving to my own place for a while. Since I have not been to any American grocery store, not to mention the fun gourmet ones in quite some time, this was one of the highlights of my day. I went to two today; Trader Joes and the Menomonie Market Food Co-op, which is the greatest! Not that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy the markets in Phnom Penh...but there is something fun about the variety of healthy and fun fresh food and the many options that come with that at the aesthetically pleasing store with fresh flowers and helpful employees.
Today we left the stores with: vegan chocolate soy ice cream, raw whole wheat flakes (from the bulk section!) dried cranberries, Silk soy strawberry yogurt, pink port cheese, garlic hummus, fresh spinach greens, baby carrots, (in a bag and ready to eat!) and even organic peanut butter puffs cereal meant for five year olds (but enojoyed just as much by one college woman and her post college sister :). It was so delightful, I even took some pictures. Oh, and when we got locked out ot the house and didn’t want the ice cream to melt, Oriana threw it in the snow bank! So far the only advantage I’ve found to living in the Arctic tundra.



2 comments:

Mom said...

Yes... isn't that store fun?
Oriana took me there. Mom

pip said...

looks yummo!(save me some peanut butter puffs cereal?)