Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thoughts from Taipei

I have been out of Cambodia only 5 hours, and even on the plane, I found myself thinking… hmm… this might be harder than I thought! I miss Cambodia!

I am surrounded by Asians, but no one speaks Khmer. It makes me sad. I said thank you to the stewardess in Khmer, and she was Taiwanese. Oops.

I miss the children chanting, “ma… ma...ma gesin! Soam oowp muie.”

It may be strange to note, but my feet are still clean. This is not normal, because I haven’t showered since 9:30 am, and I am wearing flip flops. I suppose this is a good thing.
But sometimes change is hard.

I am not sweltering hot, and haven’t been all day. The only time I was even really warm was when we struggled to get my gigantic suitcase down the stairs of my house this morning. It was 34 kilos, and bigger than me…but we managed without breaking too much of a sweat. As dusty and sweaty as I always felt, I think I miss knowing that I won’t feel like that again for a long time. I am chilly just thinking about the weather at home. Brrrr!

Mary, I miss your house! (aka the PPHFSW ;) I miss the convos on the stairs and the diet coke and snacks in the kitchen. I hope that I can stay again next time…please stay open for your favorite American guest! (or maybe guest isn't quite an accurate term?! :)

However, as I am now a step (or a few countries!) closer to home, I am even more excited for some things. I can see it now: riding down the escalator in MSP and being greeted by my mom, dad, and miss sisi boom…probably with some embarrassing sign in hand. I can’t wait to arrive in rainy Oregon, and finally get to see my friends there…after WAY too long. To go to sleep in a cozy warm bed and use lots of blankets because I have to, and to drink hot coffee because it’s winter and there is no need for ice. I can’t wait to eat breakfast and watch Anne Curry and Matt Lauer on The Today Show. Can’t wait to put on a sweater and a scarf… and to straighten my hair and wear perfume. Sisi, I can’t wait to watch you kick some butt on the track this weekend. And I can’t wait to tell everyone about the amazing beauty of Cambodia. Even if living there meant that my feet were always dirty…

Despite it being difficult to leave, I think I am ready to come back.
I will see you guys really soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gretch,
i'm crying. i can't believe i'm going to see you in 3hrs....dang right with an embarrassing sign in hand!

Mom said...

I too am crying and I read this after you got home, sooo incredible to have you home!!!!!!!!!! Love Mom