Monday, July 13, 2009

confessions on the sabbath

I am currently taking an Old Testament Survey class online. I was convicted recently as I listened to a lecture on the Ten Commandments and the professor spoke about remembering the Sabbath. I have recently felt way too busy and overwhelmed. A few friends suggested I take a day or two to do nothing. Relax. Rest. Pray. Read. Whatever. Just don’t work. It sounded great-- but I never made it happen. Why is a day of rest so hard? It’s not that I think that I am so important that something is going to fall apart without me. I just feel like there is always more work to do- and so it’s hard for me to stop until the work is done. Yeah, I know how silly that is. There will ALWAYS be more work to do. So I had to smile when I listened to the “Keep holy the Sabbath” part of the lecture. Seriously God? I get it.
This is one commandment I will admit I have never taken seriously. Why not? I don’t know. I used to think of the Sabbath as going to church. I’m not sure why. I love going to church, but I know that my presence at church on Sunday nights hardly equals keeping the Sabbath holy. But I want to start taking this commandment seriously. I want to change my habits and traditions one day every week. Because not only is it good, it was God’s idea. And not just an idea, or a suggestion- but a command. He knows my life. He knows what kind of crazy distracted world I live in. Just another reason I must rest. Thanks for the lesson. :)

No comments: