Saturday, October 31, 2009

today's reflections

I need to remember
I am accountable
abundance requires responsibility

not everyone can eat anything they want for dinner
It doesn’t solve anything for me to go without
but may Your voice
keep me mindful
and
aware

I am filled;
most often, full in a way
that makes me uncomfortable
I am thankful;
yet I am not satisfied

how can I sleep without stirring
(even in my heart)
for those who are hungry?

It is not merely food
It is opportunity.
equality.
dignity.
respect.

I have privilege I don’t deserve
my neighbors lack that which they do

You say much will be required
(of me)
for to me, much has been given

what now, God?

I am selfish

teach me how to share
to be mindful and wise
speak your generosity into my being
show me how to give what I have away
because of Your name

5 comments:

juice said...

I love that I call you my friend.
I was thinking about some of this SAME stuff tonight.
I watched the movie "The Soloist" and it got me thinking; about justice, about why God allows things to happen they way they do, about homelessness and mental health issues in the world...it was hard to watch, but good. And YES, good to remember. Remember how fortunate we are, remember to love, remember to give of ourselves.
Love you,
juice

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Gretchen!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Gretchen! Mom

Anonymous said...

you are such an inspiration to me. and now, quoted on my bathroom mirror. beautiful, you are.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for challenging, encouraging and inspiring. You are truly a God filled woman. His peace be filling and refreshing you as you continue to walk in His paths.