Sunday, August 29, 2010

M & A

Alyssa reminded me before she left that she reads my blog but I have gotten behind, and I should really post something soon… So here it is; a shout out to the greatest short term interns to have graced Poipet with your presence!

I met Mitch and Alyssa the first day I got to Cambodia, about 5 months ago. They had already been in Poipet for over a month, and I was immediately impressed by their easy-going nature, flexibility and kindness. From my observation, they had obviously jumped in head first into the many unknowns of living in Cambodia. They seemed quite comfortable and content in what I found, frankly, to be a difficult place to live. I liked them immediately.

Over the past five months, we experienced many things as we “did life” in Cambodia together. Mice, dust, noise, lacking communication skills, no hot showers, ;) and getting sick, too— but these were no match for the things God had in mind when He called us to this obscure corner of Cambodia for this season…

I was able to spend some time with M&A in Phnom Penh this past week before they returned to Australia. We had some great morning conversations over coffee, and I loved hearing their hearts overflowing with praise to God for His faithfulness to them in this time (which in their opinion, was not nearly enough!) I found myself remembering how I felt when I left Cambodia after six months- going originally thinking that it was a long time to be away; and returning home feeling like it was no where near enough time!

Most of all, though—I was incredibly encouraged by their faith and trust in God. They came to Cambodia thinking they had “no practical skills” to offer. They quit their jobs and left their lives because they trusted God, even though it didn’t necessarily make sense. They left yesterday for Australia knowing and understanding that He had brought them here with a specific plan. They left a community of Cambodians who deeply love them and have been changed and encouraged by their smiles and selfless service. Yet they were bursting with thanksgiving for all God has given to them!

All He needed was their trust. And they chose to trust. And now there are many (including me!) whom God has touched because of their obedience.

We chatted about how we wish we could really (really!) communicate to those around us about God’s faithfulness in this way. It might be difficult. You might face persecution. It might not make any sense at all. But when He shows you something and asks you to follow, do it! Ultimately there is no disappointment found walking where Jesus leads.

“Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” Ephesians 3:20

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thank you M&A for blessing Gretchen with your friendship!