Friday, September 2, 2011

September; a new beginning?

I want to write more…

I don’t even know where to begin, but I think I need to start by just writing; and not worry what about..


yesterday I was driving my moto down the main road in Poipet in the morning. out of the corner of my eye, I saw I someone slowly running down the side of the street; I realized it was a completely naked woman, holding a pair of jeans. she looked so disoriented, her face pained; as she continued forward, oblivious…

It happened so quickly that I was down the road quite a way before I realized what I had just witnessed. even now, I don’t know what I could have done differently, but I can’t get the scene out of my head.

lost. alone.

these are the words that keep coming to mind when her I think of her. I didn’t notice a reaction of any people around her, but I wonder how others saw her. did they feel pity? did they laugh? did anyone dare to try to help her; this disheveled individual who obviously didn’t fit in their conservative culture?

an adult who seemed so neglected and forgotten. she is His child, I thought. I wanted so much for her to be cared for and looked after; to not feel alone. I wondered where her mind was. I wondered what I could do. I think I will always struggle; wanting to love in these situations and not knowing how.

hours later, I sat in a van in Bangkok traffic praying and listening to music, as we weaved in and out of a sea of cars, trucks, and flashing lights. I was seemingly transformed to a different world; but I still had this image of this naked woman, wandering aimless down the street.

I am trying to listen, but I don’t have an conclusion yet…

1 comment:

pip said...

Heya Grech-
Like the look of your b&w blog!
I have also seen the woman you wrote about... probably saw her the same day you did. She was walking down main street naked, spitting, yelling to nobody in particular... Yesterday I saw her again. This time she was clothed, standing with other beggars holding a dirty puppy and asking for change. I didn't give her any money... just said a few words to say hello and smiled. I don't have any conclusions, but I guess it's a first step to look at her and speak to her rather than look through her or ignore her (and honestly, it is more comfortable for me to ignore her). Again, it's not really answer but that's all I've got!