Friday, October 28, 2011

today

It was a usual visit morning. We had met, prayed together, navigated the roads, and made it to our patient’s house. But today was special. I found myself sitting on the bamboo of the dwelling my patient called home, listening to my teammate share about Jesus to those who had never heard. It was beautiful- the genuine open eyes, actively listening. I heard the words; “We have never heard this before. Today is the first time.”

It was beautiful, really.
Really beautiful.

And yet, my heart struggled in my lack of understanding. In doubt. I wanted to be joyful, but for some reason felt so inadequate. Oh, Father! Why did you choose us; selfish and imperfect, to share these important truths of who you are? Lord, are you really sure you want to use US-- surely there is a better way?! How is it that WE can be vessels of such good news? I know we aren’t adequate.... Oh Lord, enter in…

As I struggled to understand the good news in another language, I was frustrated with myself over words I didn’t know, and concepts I didn’t know how to express.

I struggled wondering if our friends really understood, and so badly wanting them to…

The roads were bumpy, the air was filled with dust. I was hot, and my arms were getting sunburned. I was thirsty and tired. I was sick of the staring eyes and the jeers from onlookers about how the white girl drives. My attitude was poor.

Today was one of those days; I felt so useless.

And yet, what I had experienced and seen; only hours before!

I had forgotten; and I still forget. He is bigger than the imperfection of this world around me.

Even when we don’t speak clearly.
Or the road is bumpy and long.
Or I am tired.

He said; “Who will go?”

[We said we would]

He said;
‘My grace is sufficient;
my power is made perfect in weakness.’

[This makes it possible for me to be here]

Thank you God; that you are bigger than me.

'but now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God! With all this going for us, my dear friends, stand your ground. And don't hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.' 1 Corinthians 15:57-58, the message

3 comments:

Mom said...

You are amazing.......Thank you!

csogrady said...

you are amazing gretch! i truly love reading your reflections - thank you!

juice said...

Love this...and YOU!