Monday, November 19, 2007

what people think

I used to say that I didn't care what people thought about me. In some ways, this is still true. I don't mind a bit if someone sees me as odd, silly, or quiet. In general, I feel confident about who I am and I don't feel I need the approval of others to give me worth.

However, I am reminded again and again that although it doesn't matter what others think of me for my sake; it DOES matter because I call myself a follower of Christ. Therefore I am striving to be an example of Him in all I do. When stated this way, I remember it does matter what people think. It matters a lot.

I had a conversation today that reminded me of some of my weaknesses, in which this is one. Sometimes I am an awful example of Christ for others to see. I may not care what people think about me, but I sure do care what they think of Christ. It's easy for me to forget that as a Christian, I am called to be a representation of Christ in EVERYTHING I do. (Colossians 3:17)

John Piper states: "But we ought not to care much what others think of us for our own sake. Our concern is ultimately for Christ's reputation, not ours. The accent falls not on our value or excellence or virtue or power or wisdom. It falls on whether Christ is honored by the way people think of us. Does Christ get a good reputation because of the way we live? Is the excellence of Christ displayed in our lives? That should matter to us, not whether we ourselves are praised."

Well said.

Father, Make me aware of my words, actions, attitudes, and behavior and how it affects other people and what impression it gives them. Not because I care what they think of ME, but because I care what they think of YOU. Please make me more sensitive and aware. Amen.

No comments: