Saturday, November 24, 2007

thankfulness

In keeping with the tradition that Oriana and I started years ago, once again I made a "thankful list" this year on Thanksgiving. Each year on Thanksgiving day, we write out a list of everything we can possibly think of that we are thankful for. People, places, experiences, emotions, material things... everything that comes to mind makes the list. Usually it is quite a few pages long. We have also tried to pass the tradition on to others; hoping that they will enjoy our list making as much as we do... our mom and dad, friends, and the people we spend Thanksgiving with each year.

This year I spent Thanksgiving with my friend from Australia who happily joined me in the tradition (and celebrating an American holiday!) After we make the list, we compare the things we've written by reading them out loud, and then we are reminded of all of the things we forgot! It's a practice that reminds me just how much I have been given, how much the Lord loves me, and the million ways I have been blessed.

Here are just a few things from my list:

the smell of sunscreen- manicured lawns in the city- Starbucks- brokenness- making smores- organization- diet coke- running a race- bonfires- soy milk- dial hand soap- hugs- new hiking trails- downy fabric softener- waking up early- fresh sheets- JCrew- holding hands- car rides in the dark- dressing up- learning a new recipe- getting mail- wearing a friend's clothes- Aveda products- washing machine- fresh breath- weekends away- smell of coffee- the beach- Oregon rainy days- worship- dancing- gelato- a hot shower- candles- cell phone- massages- unexpected notes- cooking with mom- electricity- carpet- piggy back rides- sleepovers- perfume- the bible- new friends-


"Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."
Colossians 2:7

No comments: