Friday, December 10, 2010

learning (and re-learning) grace

The other day I was frustrated. A few different times; about more than I could even put my finger on. I picked up my journal and started writing. I wrote and wrote. And as I wrote, peace and grace came over me. It was so unmistakable I had to pause.

I realized that a big issue that I am having (for probably over a year or more, but especially since I have arrived here) is the issue of GRACE, and that I am not good at accepting it or understanding it. I get it, in theory. I understand how other people should claim it and rejoice in it. I see why they should; it makes sense to me. I know that it is the most beautiful gift we have each ever received through Jesus; really, it is too beautiful for words. It doesn't make any sense at all; which only makes it that much more amazing. but I am still so bad at accepting it in practice; in real life! today I wondered if half the reason God put me here for this time is to teach me about grace.

I had the thought today that it would be so much easier to have a "normal" job, earn my own money, do my own thing, and not have to be accountable to anyone or worry about what anyone else thought--- because it would be "MY" life.
well, besides that totally missing the point, I realized that it is not only selfish and silly, but THAT is perhaps precisely why I have none of those things--- and why it is so hard for me! (I had no idea it would be so hard)

because I am not very good at having to be accountable to a whole lot of people for "what" I am doing, what my days look like, how good my language is, how I spend money, and what I am doing to "earn" it. I feel like a failure in most of these areas all too often. the feeling of having to do my best (which is what I am actually doing) to me almost seems impossible to ever reach--- because there is always MORE I could be doing. it's true, there is. but in the meantime I would fall apart, and sometimes I feel like I am, on the inside-- because I keep trying to measure up what I think my BEST should look like.

meanwhile, I am forgetting the point. I am actually doing my best. my heart and motives are right. I believe with all my heart that I am following Jesus with my whole life, and this just happens to be where He put me for this time. and so, I will BE here. and continue to do my best. but also know that I have been given GRACE because nothing I ever do is going to be "good enough...." and that is ok.

It was almost like God spoke to me out loud. Romans 8:1, 34. "who then, will condemn us? no one-- for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us..."

I don't know that I have learned it yet. or if I ever will. I know I have been aware of this before; even in the last few months. but still, it sneaks up on me and takes control of me sometimes until I focus on this gift of grace I have been offered instead. I am thankful, even though it is still almost too much to wrap my head around... (not to mention my life)

yikes. and I can't believe I am about to post this on a blog. (!)

5 comments:

pip said...

Hiya-

Thanks for writing this post... really good to read about what you are learning & discovering. Thanks for being open with your thoughts & feelings.

Sometimes I want "my" job, "my" money, "my" free time & "my" life too. And you are right that this isn't the point. The point is that I find life when I give it up. But I'm not always a fan... even when I know there's joy in living as best as I can wholly for Him.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for giving us lives with His grace and love.

Mom said...

We love you Gretchen, we know you are doing your best!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are really doing great!!!!!!!!

Carin said...

gretch, i love and so appreciate your posts. i am inspired by your authenticity, at the very least bc what you struggle with so many of us deal with, regardless of life's circumstances. i like what you said about being ok with the fact that our best is never going to be enough, which is the beauty of our limited humanity and his limitless ability.

love to you, today and always


...carin